The Oak Tree team would like to thank you for considering us as a potential home for your creativity. We are always on the lookout for artists and writers who gel with our storytelling sensibilities. We love stories that — through the sheer wonder of imagination — champion inclusion, social and racial justice, the environment, and the arts. At the center of every Oak Tree story are characters who inspire us to care about the world around us. If all of this appeals to you, please keep reading. We have different guidelines for art versus story submissions.
Who can apply?
Everyone! No matter where you are in the world, visual storytelling is a universal language.
What can I submit?
You can submit visual art or a written story or comic book script—see below. All submissions should consist entirely of material that is original with you and should not incorporate any part of anyone else’s work.
What will Oak Tree do with my submission?
Oak Tree will review your submission as part of evaluating whether it would like to pursue a relationship with you to publish your work or to create a new one. Oak Tree will not publish your work without an agreement with you. Oak Tree does not agree by accepting your submission to keep the work confidential or not to publish other work with similar ideas, premises, plots, themes, appearance, style, etc.
ART SUBMISSION OVERVIEW
The following overview and guidelines are for artists who do not have a story in mind but would like to collaborate with a writer.
Applying artists can specialize in inking, penciling, lettering, or coloring, or be a one-stop shop and do all the art on their own. Either/or.
ART SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
In a single PDF, please include:
1. A cover page with your name, best contact information, and a link to your online portfolio. Your portfolio could be a personal website, a Behance profile, or any other online destination that exhibits your art.
2. As part of the same PDF, include a cover letter that introduces who you are, your art, and the stories you enjoy telling. This isn't a college essay. No need to worry about the quality of writing. We simply wish to know a little more about the person behind the art (500 words max.).
3. Please email all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We only accept digital submissions. Any physical artwork that arrives on our doorstep will not be returned.
We are a small team. Your submission will be reviewed by our creative director, Amelia Boscov, or by our managing director, Josh Oaktree. Learn more about our team.
As we are a small staff, please allow us up to six months to review your submission. Most likely, we will be in touch sooner. Even if your art does not mesh with one of our current projects, we keep all art submissions on file. If a project comes up that aligns with your art, we will contact you then. Always feel free to reach out about your submission status.
STORY SUBMISSION OVERVIEW
The following overview and guidelines are for writers, writers who are also artists, and writer and artist teams who have a story that they would like Oak Tree Comics to publish.
We believe the benefit of publishing with Oak Tree is that you will have a dedicated creative team behind you every step of the way, as we only take on projects that we believe in with every fiber of our being. Leading up to publication, we will be there with you, helping you develop, promote, and produce your project.
What genre of stories does Oak Tree publish?
We publish stories for kids of all ages and the young at heart. But we enjoy reading all genres. Your project could be for early readers, middle grade readers, or young adults. To reiterate from earlier, our favorite stories often use imagination to address and champion positive social values.
How much does Oak Tree Comics pay?
Oak Tree Comics does not publish compensation arrangements. All arrangements depend on the project and Oak Tree Comics' role in developing and publishing it.
Do applying storytellers need to have a completed script?
No, but we do require an outline that details thoroughly what happens in the story. Read more about our story submission requirements below:
STORY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
In a single PDF, please include the following with your submission:
1. A cover page with your name, best contact information, and a link to any relevant online writing or art portfolio that you'd like us to see.
2. As part of the same PDF, please include a cover letter that introduces who you are and a little about what defines the stories you enjoy telling (500 words max).
3. Please detail any relevant information about where you are in the creative process, who is part of your creative team, and why Oak Tree Comics would be a good fit for your project (500 words max).
4. As part of the same pdf, include a very detailed synopsis. Even if you have a completed script, at this point, we would just like to see the synopsis, which should include all major plot points and succinct but clear character descriptions. Spoilers are both encouraged and expected. If we are interested in learning more, we may ask for more materials or a complete script if you have one (1500 words max).
5. Please email all submissions to email@example.com. To help prevent waste, we only accept digital submissions.
Your submission will be reviewed by our creative director, Amelia Boscov, or by our managing director, Josh Oaktree. Learn more about our creative team here. As we are a small staff, please allow us up to six months to review your submission. Most likely, we will be in touch sooner. Always feel free to reach out about the status of your submission.
Everyone at Oak Tree is a fellow creative, so we relate to being on the other end of the submissions process. Please let us know of any ways that we can improve the experience. We feel very thankful that you are considering Oak Tree as a home for your creativity!